It is the mission of Patient Registration to provide excellent customer service while maintaining accurate patient information and ensuring stewardship of the Tribe's resources through insurance verfication.


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a chart started?

You will need to fill out a chart packet (provided on the bottom right of our homepage) and provide your Birth Certificate, Enrollment Card or descendant letter from EBCI, Social Security Card, Insurance card, Driver License or Photo ID with current address. In lieu of a Driver’s License, you may establish proof of residency with two of the following items showing physical address only; PO Box is not accepted):

1. Utility bill (power, gas, telephone, cable/satellite, water and sewer)

2. Payroll/check stub from current employer or Per Capita

3. Voter registration card

4. Bank statement

5. Tax return

6. Identification card issued by a Government Agency

Note: Parents have 180 days to submit Newborns Enrollment Card to Patient Registration or chart will be changed to Pending Verification

Chart packets can be brought to Patient Registration, faxed or mailed to:

Cherokee Indian Hospital

Attn: Patient Registration

Caller Box C-268

Cherokee, NC 28719

Fax #: (828) 497-3878

May one of my family members take my child to the doctor?

Yes, as long as you have filled out the Parental Proxy form designating that person and it is on file with Patient Registration. 

Why do you need a copy of my insurance/Medicare/Medicaid card?

Even though the hospital receives funding from IHS and the EBCI, CIH bills insurance for additional revenue. This will allow the hospital to provide additional services to serve patients better.

Why did I receive a pending letter?

You will receive a pending letter when your chart is not complete. You may need to bring in your Driver’s License, or two proofs of residency, Enrollment Card or descendant letter, Social Security Card, etc.The reason will be marked on the letter you receive. You may bring this information to Patient Registration to be updated. This will hinder you from obtaining referrals and possibly medications.

How do I become a member of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians?

You will need to contact the EBCI’s Enrollment Office at 828.359.6467 for information regarding enrollment. CIH does not perform any DNA testing for enrollment.

Why do you need to know my income?

For our patients without a resource, we will refer them to RCA to be screened for Medicaid. This is based on the number in your household and your monthly income.

Will the hospital cover my medical bills from other facilities?

Only if your eligibility is listed as Contract Health Eligible. If you are Direct Care Only, you are eligible for all services within the hospital. If you need care beyond what Cherokee Hospital offers, you will be financially responsible. If you are listed as Ineligible, meaning you are not enrolled with a Federally recognized tribe, you will be financially responsible for services provided by Cherokee Hospital.

I’m not a member of a Federally –recognized tribe, can I still get services?

If you are employed by the EBCI or a component unit (Harrah’s Casino, Cherokee Hospital, Boys Club, Cherokee Central School) you may be seen at the Immediate Care Center for urgent, non-primary care. The Emergency Department will see all patients regardless of race or ability to pay per EMTALA.

I’m pregnant by an enrolled member, am I eligible for services?

Yes, you must fill out a chart packet, along with all documentation listed above, provide a positive pregnancy test, and the father must sign a Paternity Affidavit. You are only eligible for care related to the pregnancy until 6 weeks post-partum. Your eligibility will follow the father’s eligibility. If the father is direct only, you will be able to receive pre-natal care within the hospital but you will be responsible for costs associated with the actual delivery. If the father is CHS & Direct, all prenatal care and delivery related bills will be covered.

How is my eligibility determined?

Please see the eligibility matrix under Purchased and Referred Care section.

Please refer to the Pharmacy section for medication eligibility.

For more information please contact the Patient Registration department at (828) 497-9163 ext. 6603.

Download Presentation