The Nutrition Department works with a multidisciplinary team to offer medical nutrition therapy (MNT). Registered Dietitians (RDs) provide inpatient nutrition assessments and outpatient nutrition consultations as part integrated care teams. Registered Dietitians (RD’s) provide patient education and diet prescriptions for a variety of health conditions. All dietitians are licensed by the state of North Carolina and maintain registration with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
1. Inpatient Nutrition Services
2. Outpatient Nutrition Consultations
3. Group Nutrition Classes
4. Community Outreach
5. Resource for other healthcare providers for Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)
6. Bariatric support groups
7. Satellite clinic support
The Nutrition Department operates Monday to Friday from 8:00-4:30 p.m. except on holidays. Staff work schedules can be accommodated upon patient’s request.
Nilofer Couture, RD, CDE Dept. Head, 7 Clans(Green) Clinic, 828.497.9163 ext. 6459
Linda Johnson, RD, Eagle(Blue) Clinic ext 6317
Jean Walborn, RD, Diabetes ext 7569
Chrystal Frank, RD, Pediatrics ext 6806
Susan Bogardus, RD, Part Time Intermittent, ext. 6317
How can a dietition help me?
Do I need to see a doctor or get a referral to make an appointment to see a dietition?
No, you don't. You can call the primary care clinic that your doctor works in and ask for an appointment with the clinic dietition, or you can leave a phone message with the dietition who works in your doctor's clinic (extentions noted above)
Would you list some good nutrition websites?
- Anerican Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics www.eatright.org
- Eat Smart, Move More NC www.eatsmartmovemorenc.com
- Division of Diabetes Treatment and prevention www.ihs.gov/MedicalPrograms/Diabetes
- Nutrition www.nutrition.gov
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute www.nhlbi.nih.gov
- Choose my plate www.choosemyplate.gov
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020 www.choosemyplate.gov/dietary-guidelines & http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines
- American Heart Association www.heart.org/HEARTORG
- American Cancer Society www.cancer.org
- American Diabetes Association http://diabetes.org
Would you give me healthy recipes to try?